Double Basil Caprese Melt
This warm sandwich marries all the gooey and crunchy decadence of a traditional grilled cheese with the fresh, juicy savoriness of a Caprese salad. Bright and nutty pesto adds yet another layer of basil flavor to this classic rainy-day sandwich.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 6 large leaves fresh basil
- 4 slices rustic bread
- 2 Tbsp. prepared basil pesto
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until it begins to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes.
- While butter is heating, layer mozzarella, tomato, and basil on two slices of bread. Spread pesto on last two slices and top sandwiches. Spread remaining butter on top side of each sandwich.
- Place sandwiches in pan with buttered slice up. Slide sandwiches around the pan to ensure an even coating of butter. Cook until first side has browned and cheese begins to melt, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip sandwiches and cook 2-3 additional minutes, until browned and cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before cutting each sandwich in half.