Double Cherry Delight Dessert Dumplings
Serves: 10Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄3 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white
- 1 jar (8 oz.) cherry preserves
- 1 can (16 oz.) tart pitted cherries, drained
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend 1⁄3 cup sour cream, egg, egg yolk, and salt. Gradually add 1 1⁄2 cups flour on slow speed until the dough forms a ball. Wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- In a wide bowl, mix 8 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a fork.
- Lightly dust a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut it into 8 pieces. Cover resting dough with a damp kitchen towel. Roll one portion into a sheet. Cut out circles with a cookie cutter 3 inches in diameter.
- Brush each circle with egg white. Place 1⁄4 teaspoon of preserves in the center of one round. Roll two cherries in the sugar and spice mixture and place on top of the preserves. Fold one side of dough over the filling, pressing the edges to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Cook dumplings in batches of about 10 at a time, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve dumplings with remaining sour cream.