Double Chocolate-Quinoa Muffins
Quinoa adds a wonderful texture and a good amount of protein to these delicious chocolate muffins.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 3⁄4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup fine sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. wheat-free baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. wheat-free vanilla extract
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds or whatever nuts you like
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray with baking spray.
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- In a separate, larger bowl, combine the oil, buttermilk, vanilla, quinoa, chocolate chips, and nuts and mix thoroughly. Carefully fold in flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Fill muffin tins 3⁄4 full with batter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through by inserting toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. Let cool slightly before removing from the pan.