Dried Fenugreek Fish (Sukhi Methi Wale Macchi)
Fenugreek is an aromatic plant native to Asia and southern Europe. Its leaves and seeds are used in Indian cooking. For this recipe use either fresh, frozen, or dried leaves. Fenugreek leaves, methi, and ginger-garlic paste are sold at Indian markets.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 Tbsp. fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- Table salt, to taste
- ½ cup hung yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 lb. whitefish, cut into chunks
- Butter for basting
- In a bowl, mix the fenugreek leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger paste, salt, yogurt, and cream. Add the fish and coat well. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Skewer the fish cubes; discard any remaining marinade. Place the fish skewers in the oven and roast for about 4 to 5 minutes. Baste with butter. Roast for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the fish is completely cooked through. Serve hot.