Dried Hot Pepper Flakes
This is a good way to use up those leftovers from the garden, or a reason for a trip to the farmers market. It doesn’t matter how many varieties you mix together.
Makes: 1 cupHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 1 cup
- 5 cups fresh hot peppers, any variety
- Remove pepper stems and ends; clean off seeds. Chop peppers no more than ¼" thick.
- Line a cookie sheet parchment paper. Evenly spread chopped peppers onto cookie sheet.
- Place in 200°F oven. Leave oven door slightly ajar. Bake 4 hours, turning with a long-handled spatula every 30 minutes. Peppers should be bone dry.
- Leave on kitchen counter for 2 days to make sure flakes crumble when picked up. Crumble into tiny flakes, and store in a Mason jar with a tight-fitting cover.