These free-form biscuits are crispy on the outside, light on the inside, and are quick and easy to make.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold whole milk, divided
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until it is broken down into pea-sized pieces.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in 1 cup milk. Using a fork, blend the flour and milk until the dough just comes together.
- Drop biscuits by heaping spoonfuls (about 1⁄4 cup) 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Set aside to rest 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush remaining milk generously onto biscuits, then bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Turn pan halfway through baking to promote even browning.