This is a fun party dish for a group of friends.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 frying chicken (4 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. salt ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup pickled pearl onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup tequila
- 1 cup Spanish olives, drained
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Rinse the chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and oregano. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Cook in batches if necessary to keep from overcrowding the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Reduce the heat and add the onions and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat and add the bay leaf, wine, tequila, and olives. Return to the heat, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the alcohol is cooked off. Return the chicken to the pan, cover, and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes, until tender.