Easier Shepherd’s Pie
This savory pie is filled with ground beef, onions, and peas cooked in a rich sauce and topped with cheesy potatoes.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas and carrots
- 1 package (24 oz.) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat oil. Cook ground beef, garlic, salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper for 7 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir often, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon. With a slotted spoon, remove meat to a large bowl and drain all but 1 Tbsp. of grease.
- Return skillet to heat, add onions, and cook gently for 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Stir in carrots and peas and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl with ground beef.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, chili sauce, and ketchup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Pour over ground beef and vegetables and stir well. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes with sour cream, cheese, and the remaining ¼ tsp. pepper; Stir until well-combined and fluffy. Spread over meat and vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or until casserole is bubbling and potatoes are brown and slightly crisp on top.