Eastern Lamb Curry
This should be served with rice, preferably basmati rice. Provide condiments, including white raisins, toasted coconut shavings, and roasted cashews or pistachios.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. lamb, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 3 cups water
- 1 bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf, parsley tied together)
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 medium banana, peeled and sliced in 1⁄2-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- Put the meat in a stockpot with the carrot, onion, water, bouquet garni, and salt; boil for 20 minutes.
- After boiling, remove and discard the carrot, onion, and bouquet garni. Skim the surface of the boiled water and discard any debris. Transfer the meat and liquid to the slow cooker.
- Sauté in 2 tablespoons of the butter in a pan over low heat until the banana is lightly browned. Transfer the banana and juices to the slow cooker.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the curry and flour, then stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir the apple into the curry mixture. Transfer the curry mixture to the slow cooker.
- Cover and heat on a low setting for 4 hours. 20 minutes before serving, stir in cream and heat through. Top with cilantro to serve.