Easy Apple Turnovers
Frozen puff pastry dough makes these apple turnovers a snap! This dish is great as-is, but consider adding cream cheese, raisins, or even a sprinkling of oatmeal to the filling to change it up.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 package (7 oz.) frozen puff pastry
- 2 Tbsp. sanding sugar
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tbsp. whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar over medium heat. When liquid, add apples and spices. As apples become tender, add vanilla and salt. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares, for a total of 8. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Add equal amounts of the filling into the center of each square. Fold opposing corners of the squares together, making triangular pockets. Seal with a small amount of water along the edges, then press with the tines of a fork. Sprinkle with sanding sugar before baking.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar and milk and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes. Drizzle over warm turnovers and serve.