Easy Beef Stroganoff
A great stew that benefits from the addition of sour cream, this version shows the Eastern European influence.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1” cubes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth or consommé
- 1 package (10 oz.) white mushrooms, quartered
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix together the beef, oil, flour, and salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes to brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- Place the beef, broth, and mushrooms in a pot. Simmer gently, partially covered, for about 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Skim off any excess fat and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix together the sour cream, dill, and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Ladle a small amount of the broth from the pot into the bowl and quickly mix with the sour cream. Stir the mixture into the pot, and turn off the heat. Serve with parsley over egg noodles.