Easy Beef-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
This recipe is great made in quantity for a casual afternoon luncheon.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- Remove the core from the cabbage head, keeping the head whole. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and drop the cabbage in for 4 to 6 minutes. Pull off 12 whole leaves from the cabbage head. Separate the leaves and place them in a very large bowl. Return the water to a boil, then immediately cover the cabbage leaves with the boiled water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine beef, salt, pepper, onion, and 1 can of tomato sauce; blend well.
- Shape the meat mixture into 12 miniature loaf shapes. Place 1 loaf in the center of each cabbage leaf; roll up, folding in the sides. Place the rolls, seam side down, in a 10-inch sauté pan or skillet.
- Combine honey, cider vinegar, and remaining can of tomato sauce and stir together to form a sauce. Pour the sauce evenly over the cabbage rolls; bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook, basting often, for about 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours.