Easy Beef and Vegetable Stew
Add fresh herbs from the garden to this soup to suit your taste, and throw in any extra vegetables you may have on hand.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. stewing beef cubes, lean and trimmed of fat
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup pearl onions
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- ½ cup diced celery
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the beef cubes in olive oil. Sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir to coat and distribute.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, potato, turnips, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, and beef broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Add peas and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Add the Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Serve hot.