Easy Broccoli Soup with Cheddar
There is a lot to love about broccoli soup. Both nourishing and full of fiber, it can be enriched with cream or heated up with spicy pepper jack cheese.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp. grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and potato until softened slightly. Add broccoli, wine, broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Purée in a blender, then return to pot. Reheat 5 minutes over medium heat. Pour into bowls and top with cheese.