Easy Chicken Empanadas
For a special make-ahead meal even on the most hectic night, simply stock these homemade empanadas in your freezer and some PeakFection® Salsa in your fridge.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Colby Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1⁄8 cup PeakFection® Red Salsa, plus 1/2 cup, for serving
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for empanadas, except pie crusts, until well blended.
- Unroll one pie crust onto parchment paper, or a lightly floured surface. Use a 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut rounds from dough. Re-roll dough as needed.
- Place 1 generous tsp. filling in the center of the rounds. Brush edges of dough with water and fold over to cover filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Repeat with remaining pie crust and filling. (If desired, the recipe can be made up to this point and frozen.)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.