Easy Frozen Split Pea Soup
This refreshing soup makes a nice alternative to a plain vegetable side dish. For an extra touch, garnish with a few mint sprigs before serving.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped mint leaves
- Place the frozen peas in a mesh strainer. Run warm running water over them until defrosted.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion. Sauté until the onion is shiny and softened, adjusting the heat to keep it from cooking too quickly. Add the peas, chicken broth, and cream. Stir in the salt and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place the soup in the blender with the mint and purée until smooth.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.