Easy Homestyle Chili
This is basic, weeknight supper chili. Make a double batch and keep some in the freezer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, brown ground beef. Remove from heat; drain fat. Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over beef; toss to coat.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, and tomato sauce; stir in beans and water. Return to medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 30 minutes, or until chili is thick.
- Add salt and pepper. Let stand five minutes before serving.