This is a quicker version of the traditional Creole/Cajun spicy chicken and rice dish, which is made with tomatoes, andouille (pork sausage), and shrimp.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 3 cups white long-grain rice, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 smoked sausage, sliced
- ½ cup diced ham
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 cup cooked, peeled small shrimp
- Over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil in a large pot. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, and turmeric to the pot, and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add rice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, browned chicken, and bay leaves. Stir to combine, bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, and cover pot with a lid.
- Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove bay leaves. Stir in sausage, ham, tomatoes, and pepper sauce. Simmer 10 minutes more until heated through then add shrimp.