Easy Onion- and Garlic-Free Chicken Stock
This is a great low-FODMAP staple to have ready-made for soups, sauces, rice and other low-FODMAP dishes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 rotisserie chicken (2 lbs.)
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium stalk celery with leaves, cut into chunks
- 1 large bok choy stalk with leaves, cut into chunks
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4–5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 whole peppercorns
- Remove meat from rotisserie chicken and set aside to use for sandwiches, stir-fry, chicken salad, or other recipes.
- Place chicken carcass in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker and make sure it is fully covered with water.
- Place vegetables and spices in slow cooker. Set slow cooker to low and cook 6–8 hours.
- Use tongs to transfer and discard chicken bones from slow cooker. Place a large sieve over a large bowl. Drain contents from slow cooker through sieve. Discard large vegetable pieces. Skim fat from surface of stock using a large spoon.
- Cool completely, divide into a few small glass jars or plastic containers, and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.