Easy Oyster Stew
Serve this simple stew with oyster crackers. For a richer dish, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat before adding the liquid, and replace the milk with light cream or half-and-half.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 24 canned Pacific oysters, drained, juice from can reserved
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring ½ cup reserved oyster juice and milk to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring.
- When the liquid is just starting to bubble, stir in the salt, pepper, thyme, lemon juice, and Tabasco sauce. (Turn the heat down if needed so that the liquid is just simmering.)
- Add the oysters and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes to give the flavors a chance to blend. Serve hot.