Easy Seafood Rice Pilaf
Microwaving the rice considerably shortens the cooking time in this simple shrimp and rice dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ lb. large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Place the rice and broth in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Cook the rice on high heat for 8 minutes. Check and continue microwaving until the rice is cooked (about 10 minutes). Do not stir the rice. Once the rice is finished cooking, let it stand for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sprinkle the paprika over the onion. Sauté the onions for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion is softened (turn the heat down to medium if needed).
- Sprinkle the salt over the shrimp and add to the pan. Splash the shrimp with the lemon juice and sauté until they turn pink, taking care not to overcook.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the shrimp mixture. Serve hot.