Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
Who doesn’t like spaghetti and meatballs? Here’s a simple, delicious, and inexpensive recipe everyone can agree on. As long as you have the ingredients on hand, it’s a meal you can whip up anytime. And the meatballs freeze beautifully, too, so feel free to make several batches and stock up for emergencies.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup salt-free bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups no-salt-added pasta sauce
- 1 lb. dry whole-grain spaghetti
- Place ground beef in a mixing bowl and add the grated onion and garlic. Mix together using your hands.
- Add the egg white, bread crumbs, cheese, basil, oregano, thyme, and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- To make the meatballs, pinch off 1 to 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll between your palms to achieve a nice globe. Set the meatball aside and repeat with remaining meat mixture, until you have roughly 22 meatballs (2 inches in diameter).
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, roughly 3 to 5 minutes. Once the meatballs have browned, add the pasta sauce, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring or shaking the pan every so often.
- Bring a stockpot of water to boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the spaghetti and cook according to directions on the package, omitting salt.
- Drain pasta and pour the sauce and meatballs over top. Serve immediately.