Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
Who doesn’t like spaghetti and meatballs? Here’s a simple, delicious, and inexpensive recipe everyone can agree on. As long as you have the ingredients on hand, it’s a meal you can whip up anytime. And the meatballs freeze beautifully, too, so feel free to make several batches and stock up for emergencies.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 egg white, beaten
- ½ cup salt-free bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups no-salt-added pasta sauce
- 1 lb. dry whole-grain spaghetti
- Place ground beef in a mixing bowl and add the grated onion and garlic. Mix together using your hands.
- Add the egg white, bread crumbs, cheese, basil, oregano, thyme, and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- To make the meatballs, pinch off 1–2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll between your palms to achieve a nice globe. Set the meatball aside and repeat with remaining meat mixture, until you have roughly 22 meatballs (2").
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, roughly 3–5 minutes. Once the meatballs have browned, add the pasta sauce, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring or shaking the pan every so often.
- Bring a stockpot of water to boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the spaghetti and cook according to directions on the package, omitting salt.
- Drain pasta and pour the sauce and meatballs over top. Serve immediately.