Easy Spinach Soufflés with Smoked Gouda
The smoked cheese adds an aggressive and distinct flavor. You can also substitute regular Gouda or any semisoft cheese such as Cheddar, fontina, or Edam.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed very dry
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup grated smoked Gouda
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium until it stops bubbling. Add the spinach, garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Mix together the cream, eggs, flour, Gouda, and Parmesan until well incorporated. Fold in the spinach.
- Use 1 tablespoon butter to grease 4 ovenproof ramekins (4 ounces). Divide the mixture between the ramekins.
- Place in the oven and cook until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of each soufflé comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Carefully tip them out of the pan and top each with the remaining butter. Let cool for about 3 minutes. Serve warm.