Easy Strawberry Lemon-Filled Danish
Tart lemon curd and sweet berries pair up for a fantastic way to start a day. To make these even easier, use store-bought lemon curd instead of making your own.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 6 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 package (17 oz.) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp. whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Bring water to a boil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest together, then add mixture slowly to the hot water, whisking constantly until incorporated. Place the saucepan over medium heat, continuing to whisk until mixture comes to a boil and becomes very thick.
- Add about half of the hot mixture to egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Carefully whisk warmed yolks into the saucepan and continue cooking and whisking until the mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1⁄4 cup butter, lemon juice, and vanilla, stirring until combined. Cool 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut pastry into 12 squares and form pastry “envelopes” or your favorite pastry shape. Fill each with a dollop of lemon filling. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While the pastries bake, make a cream cheese icing: Blend remaining 2 tablespoons butter, cream cheese, milk, and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Top each Danish with strawberries and cream cheese icing.