Easy Zucchini “Lasagna”
Layered and baked like the beloved Italian-American pasta dish, this wheat-free casserole is best made a day in advance, and cut while cold, then warmed before serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 4 large zucchini, sliced 1⁄8 inch thick
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1 lb. provolone, fontina, or mozzarella, shredded
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced and salted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread 1 cup sauce onto the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of zucchini slices into the pan, overlapping the pieces by a third.
- Dot the zucchini layer with half of the ricotta, distributing teaspoonfuls evenly around the casserole. Layer on 1⁄3 of the shredded cheese, and half of the eggplant.
- Arrange another layer of zucchini, and repeat fillings, using remaining ricotta, eggplant, and another third of the shredded cheese. Add a final layer of zucchini on top, and spread on 2 more cups tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese; bake 1 hour until casserole is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.