These are simple but look sophisticated. Their presentation is pretty and is perfect for a brunch with friends and family.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup grated Monterey jack or Cheddar cheese
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes, core, and using a melon baller, scoop out seeds and pulp. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the garlic in the butter for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, mix together the salt, black pepper, oregano, and cumin. Spread ½ of the mixture on the insides of the tomatoes, saving the rest for topping.
- Break an egg into each tomato. Sprinkle with the rest of the spice mixture. Loosely spoon the cheese over the eggs.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The tomatoes should still be firm, the eggs soft, and the cheese melted.