Egg-/Dairy-Free Molasses Cookies
If there are no nut allergies involved, up to 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans can be added to this recipe.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup Grandma’s molasses
- 1⁄2 cup coffee
- Whisk flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon together; set aside.
- Cream shortening, 1 cup sugar, molasses, and coffee together until smooth and creamy. Stir in flour mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap; chill dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Roll dough in teaspoon-sized balls. Roll in remaining sugar; place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.