Eggplant Caponata for Canning
This is a delightful accompaniment to any meat, fish, or poultry dish. The hint of rosemary in this really ups the flavor.
Makes: 4 quartsHands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 4 quarts
- 10 lbs. eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 3½ cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 lbs. tomatoes, skinned, chopped, and drained
- 1½ cups red wine vinegar
- 1 can (3 oz.) tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups ripe olives, pitted
- ¾ cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp. minced rosemary
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3 oz. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Sauté eggplant, celery, and onion in oil until tender.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack into quart-sized jars. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims, cap, and seal. Process in pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 40 minutes.