A simple yet tasty dip. Serve with toasted Italian bread slices.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut across into ½" slices
- ½ cup plus 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into ¼" slices and toasted
- Place the eggplant slices in a colander in the sink. Use the ½ cup of the kosher salt to evenly salt both sides of eggplant slices. Let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse the slices and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1" chunks.
- Spray the insides of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add in the eggplant chunks. Stir in the olive oil, onion, garlic, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours, or until eggplant is very tender.
- Mash eggplant mixture with a fork. Mix in red wine vinegar. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve warm or chilled with toasted slices of Italian bread.