Eggplant is a most versatile and delicious vegetable. You don’t have to salt or soak the Japanese eggplants to get the bitterness out as you do with their larger relatives.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 baguette loaf of bread
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup diced roasted red bell pepper
- Prepare a grill. Slice the baguette into ¼"-thick rounds and brush both sides with olive oil. Grill bread on both sides. Rub one side of each toast with garlic clove, and set aside.
- Slice the eggplants into ¼"-thick slices, brush them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with salt.
- Grill the eggplant rounds on both sides for about 10 minutes total. Remove from heat and chop.
- Toss eggplant with red onion, peppers, and scallions. Top each toast with a spoonful of the vegetables.