Eggplant and Onion Dip
Look for eggplants with a noticeable round indentation at their fat end, as they tend to have fewer seeds. Serve this dip with pita wedges.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove stalk ends of eggplants; pierce holes with a fork all over bodies. Bake until well browned and soft to the touch, approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove eggplants from oven; cool until you can handle them, then peel away skin using a spoon and place pulp in mixing bowl.
- Add grated onion and garlic to eggplant; mix together thoroughly with fork until smooth. Add parsley, olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, oregano, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.