Eggplant Parmesan Hoagies
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 focaccia rolls
- 6 oz. thinly sliced mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally until heated and thickened, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Peel the eggplants. Slice thinly, either vertically or horizontally. Combine the Parmesan cheese and black pepper in a wide-rimmed bowl. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Dip into the Parmesan mixture and arrange in one layer on the baking sheet. Place in hot oven on top rack. Roast until eggplant is tender, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Slice open the rolls. Layer each sandwich with sauce, eggplant, mozzarella, and more sauce. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and heat for 6 or 7 minutes. Serve hot.