Eggplant Parmesan Quinoa Casserole
This flavorful casserole can be prepared a day or two beforehand, making it the perfect light and quick dinner idea for a busy weeknight.
Serves: 6Prep: 45 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Quinoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup part skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup Private Selection™ Shaved Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1” chunks
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan or skillet. Once heated, add in the quinoa and toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add in the water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and continue cooking until the seeds are translucent and have started to spiral, about 15 minutes. The quinoa can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and salt & pepper. Mix well. The cheese filling can be made the day before and stored tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
- When ready to make the casserole, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Once heated, add in the eggplant chunks. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- To prepare the casserole: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Mix the quinoa and ricotta cheese mixture together. Spray a 13”x9” baking pan with cooking spray. Spread half of the quinoa/cheese mixture into the prepared pan. Then top it with half of the sautéed eggplant and ⅓ cup of Parmesan cheese. Now add in the remaining quinoa/cheese mixture and spread evenly over top of the eggplant and cheese. Top with the remaining eggplant, 1 cup of pasta sauce, and the remaining Parmesan cheese. Wrap tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil during the last 5 minutes of baking time.
- Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.