Eggplant parmesan is a hearty vegetarian dinner that is especially good in the summer, when eggplant is in season. Try to find the freshest eggplant at a local farmer’s market to provide the best flavor in this dish.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 8 slices (½" thick) eggplant (2 medium-sized eggplants)
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and put in a colander to drain for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and pepper. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with a whisk or fork. Put flour into another bowl.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Wipe eggplant slices dry with a paper towel. Dip each eggplant slice first in flour, then egg, then in the bread crumb mixture.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry the coated eggplant slices in heated olive oil, turning when bottom side of eggplant is golden brown. Place browned eggplant slices on top of the tomato sauce in the baking dish.
- Cover eggplant with remaining tomato sauce. Top each eggplant slice with a slice of mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for 40 minutes.