Fried eggplant is a natural base for a savory tomato sauce and mounds of cheese!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 medium eggplant (1 lb.), thinly sliced
- 1 jar (28 oz.) spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 lb. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Beat eggs with water in a second shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in a third shallow dish.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet or fryer until a piece of vegetable sizzles when added.
- Dip a piece of eggplant in the flour and shake off excess; dip it in the egg mixture and shake off excess; then press it into the breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining slices of eggplant. Fry the slices until golden, about 3 minutes each; drain on a rack or on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the eggplant in a medium baking dish. Toss mozzarella and Parmesan cheese together. Top eggplant with spaghetti sauce and shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, browning and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.