To make the eggplant purée called for in this recipe: Slice an eggplant lengthwise, lightly brush with olive oil, roast in a 375°F oven for 20 minutes, and purée.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup durum wheat (semolina) flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. iodized salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup eggplant purée
- ¼ cup olive
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Sift together the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the eggs and eggplant purée in a separate bowl. Whisk the olive oil and water into the egg mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until fully incorporated and the dough forms into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Allow dough to return to room temperature if it has rested in the refrigerator for more than an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, then form or shape pasta as desired.