Make a lot and serve on crackers as well as on burgers. This is a favorite for picnics and can be used with chicken, beef, turkey, and veal.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large eggplant or two medium ones
- 4–5 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, tops included, chopped fine
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup small Italian capers
- ½ cup Sicilian or Greek olives, chopped
- 2 oz. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- Peel the eggplant and slice it horizontally in about ½ " slices. Salt the eggplant slices on both sides and stack them on a plate. Place a heavy pot on top of the eggplant to press out the brown juice. Give it a half hour.
- Dice the eggplant and brown it in ¼ cup olive oil. When the eggplant is soft, remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, and celery and cook over medium heat until soft. If the pan is dry, add more oil.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and put the eggplant back into the pan. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.