Eggplant and Tomato Bruschetta
Toasts with toppings are a popular appetizer, and the Mediterranean flavors in this bruschetta are a satisfying way to start a light meal of soup and salad.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 loaf rustic bread, cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled (2 cloves cut in half, 4 minced)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange bread slices on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil and set aside the rest of the oil. Toast rounds in the oven until lightly browned; then turn and toast the other side. Remove from oven. Rub one side of each warm toast with cut garlic; set aside.
- Heat 1⁄4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced eggplant and cook until fork-tender, stirring occasionally. Let eggplant cool in pan.
- Add minced garlic to cooked eggplant along with remaining oil, red wine vinegar, tomato, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread each toast with eggplant mixture and sprinkle with parsley.