Eggplant with Gruyère Cheese
A tasty dish to satisfy cravings for a deep-fried dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large eggplants, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Gruyère cheese or mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Cut the eggplants crosswise into slices ½-inch thick. Sprinkle each slice with salt and let sit for 25 minutes (this extracts the bitter-tasting juices). Rinse under cold running water, drain, and dry thoroughly.
- Preheat broiler on low. Heat the oil and deep-fry each eggplant slice for 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a flat baking sheet, sprinkle with the garlic, and place a slice of cheese over each slice, then top with another slice of eggplant. Broil until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve immediately.