Eggplant with Romesco Sauce
This dish gets its Catalonian flavor from grilled eggplant slices, puréed roasted red bell peppers, and ground almonds. To add protein, you can sprinkle some grated Manchego cheese on top or add more fiber with snipped fresh herbs, such as parsley or oregano.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 eggplant
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- ¾ cup roasted red bell pepper
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 clove peeled garlic
- 1½ tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- Slice the eggplant into ½"-thick rounds and place them in a colander over a bowl or in the sink. Sprinkle kosher salt over the eggplant and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the romesco sauce by putting the roasted red bell peppers in a food processor with the almonds, garlic, vinegar, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Purée. Add ¼ cup olive oil while the motor is running.
- Rinse the eggplant and drain on paper towels. Blot dry and brush with remaining olive oil.
- Grill the eggplant on a preheated grill or grill pan for about 5 minutes per side.
- Place half of the grilled eggplant on a platter and spoon half of the sauce over it. Top with the remaining eggplant rounds and spoon the remaining sauce over the top.