Egyptian Lentils and Rice
Amino acids in the lentils and rice combine to form complete proteins, making this warming, comforting dish nutritionally powerful.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup brown or green lentils
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. brown mustard seeds
- Heat the oil and cumin seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the seeds are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and lentils, mixing with a wooden spoon until well coated. Add the lemon juice, zest, salt, and stock. Cover tightly and simmer until all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for five minutes before fluffing with a fork. Serve topped with cumin and mustard seeds.