This is definitely a crowd-pleaser. You can adjust the spices according to your guests’ tastes.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can (15 oz.) black or pinto beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 can diced green chili peppers
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Heat oil in a very large, deep skillet or Dutch oven and cook onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes until they soften. Add the ground beef, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and cilantro and cook for 5–8 minutes, until beef turns brown. Add the beans, tomatoes, green pepper, carrot, chili peppers, and corn. Season with salt and cook additional 1–2 minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the corn tortillas, then meat mixture, then cheese. Repeat again until all ingredients are used.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Top with scallion, avocado, sour cream, olives, and salsa.