Endives au Jambon (Endives with Ham)
Baked endives in ham and Béchamel is a typical family-style dish, and can be considered French comfort food.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 endives, trimmed
- 8 slices jambon blanc or thin slices cooked ham
- ½ cup Béchamel sauce
- 2 oz. grated Gruyère cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat and cook the endives in it for about 3 minutes, making sure they get brown on each side. Add water to a depth of 1" and cover the skillet. Reduce the heat to its lowest and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the endives and wrap each of them in a slice of ham. Layer them in a rectangular baking dish. Pour the Béchamel on the endives, and sprinkle the grated cheese all over them. Put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.