Serves: 12Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ package active dry yeast (1⅛ tsp.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- cooking spray
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Scald the milk and allow it to cool to lukewarm. In the warm water, dissolve the sugar and the yeast. Add the cooled milk. Stir in the salt, butter, and half the flour, and beat until smooth. Mix in the remaining flour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Put in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and allow to rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and return to the work surface. Pat or roll the dough to a thickness of about ¾ ". Cut the muffins with a 4" circular cutter dipped in flour. Dip each cut round in cornmeal to coat both the top and bottom. Cover and let rise until light, about 30 minutes.
- Cook the muffins on a lightly buttered or greased griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Turn every 5 minutes until they are done, using a spatula. Total cooking time will be 15 minutes or more. Cool slightly on a rack before serving.
- To serve, split open with a fork horizontally and toast.