Everything Bagel Cornmeal Skillet Rolls
Crusty on the outside and soft on the inside...this roll recipe rocks!
Serves: 16Prep: 1 hour 15 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger® Yellow Cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup mild-flavored molasses
- 4 tablespoons Kroger® Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus additional as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups Simple Truth™ Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend
- Place the boiling water in a small bowl and slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly until well mixed.
- Add the molasses, 3 tablespoons of butter and salt, stirring until butter is melted. Add egg and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine warm water and yeast in another small bowl stirring until yeast is dissolved. Place flour in a large bowl. Add cornmeal and yeast mixtures, stirring until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead with floured hands until mixture forms a ball. Dough will be sticky. Cut dough into 16 pieces with a sharp knife. Shape each piece of dough into a ball with floured hands.
- Place balls into greased 10” cast iron skillet or 9” round baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and rolls sound hollow when tapped.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Remove baked rolls from pan to cool on a wire rack. While rolls are still hot, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with bagel seasoning blend.