This recipe calls for searing chicken in a hot skillet. If you prefer grilled chicken breasts, by all means fire up the barbecue—but be careful not to overcook the boneless chicken.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (5 oz. each)
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¾ cup olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag. Combine ½ cup lime juice, ½ cup olive oil, and garlic. Pour into bag over chicken, seal, and place bag in a baking dish in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Turn bag occasionally.
- Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess liquid. Discard marinade.
- Combine salt, black pepper, cumin, and oregano. Sprinkle seasoning mix over chicken breasts.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 chicken breasts, and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until chicken breasts are no longer pink, about 5–7 minutes, depending on the thickness. Place chicken on a platter. Repeat with 2 tablespoons oil and remaining chicken breasts. Slice across the grain into thin strips.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry onions and bell peppers for 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken strips and serve.