Fakkes (Lentil Soup)
Garnish this soup with a few Kalamata olives and a splash of wine vinegar.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. dried lentils, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Add lentils to large pot of boiling water. Boil 10 minutes; drain water. Add 6 pints fresh water; bring to boil.
- Add onion, carrot, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves, and olive oil to pot; cover and cook 1 hour, or until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaves and serve hot or cold.