Fall Pumpkin Soup
It is nice to serve this soup in small, hollowed-out sugar pumpkins. Do not try to make this with a large jack-oʼ-lantern pumpkin; it will be lousy.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh gingerroot
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 cups diced sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh chives
- Heat the butter on medium in a saucepan until it has stopped bubbling. Add the onion, celery, ginger, and nutmeg. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook gently for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese. Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and bring to a very low simmer over medium heat. Add cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Serve in warmed bowls topped with chives.