Fennel Grilled Haddock
Fennel is sweet and tastes like licorice, especially when grilled. It imparts its distinctive flavor to the mild fish using this grilling method.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 bulbs. fennel
- 4 haddock or halibut steaks (5 oz. each)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Prepare and preheat grill.
- Slice fennel bulbs lengthwise into 1⁄2-inch slices, leaving the stalks and fronds attached. Brush fennel and haddock with olive oil on all sides to coat. Sprinkle fish with salt, pepper, and paprika. Place fennel on grill 6 inches above medium coals, cut-side down. Arrange fish on top of fennel and close the grill.
- Grill for 5 to 7 minutes or until fennel is deep golden brown and fish flakes when tested with fork.
- Remove fish to serving platter, sprinkle with lemon juice, and cover.
- Cut the root end and stems from the fennel and discard. Slice fennel and place on top of fish; serve immediately.