Fettuccine with Shiitake Mushrooms and Brown Butter
This is an easy, elegant pasta served at one of New York’s legendary theater district dining spots.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup unsalted butter, divided
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 leaves fresh sage, minced
- 1 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 8 oz. fettuccine, cooked
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Place all but 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet with the salt. Cook over medium heat until the butter turns brown and has a smoky, nutty aroma—it should not turn black or smell burnt.
- Add the sage and then the mushrooms. Cook without stirring for 5 minutes, to brown the mushrooms. Stir and cook until the mushrooms are wilted and juicy; add the wine. Cook 1 minute to steam out the alcohol. Add the stock, cooked fettuccine, and lemon juice.
- Remove from heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and toss to coat.